Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Be still and know that I am God"

Don't you just love it when God speaks softly to you? It sure beats Him hitting you over the head with a 2x4. Oh, yeah I have had that happen quite a few times in my life! I much prefer it when I take the time to be still and then I hear Him whispering in my ear. What sweet moments those are with my loving Saviour. I recently relished in one of those moments.

I have been packing away all the unnecessary stuff in the house, the nick-knacks, pictures, and so ons. Last week I packed away all the books on the bookshelf. I decided to just keep out one book that I have been wanting to read, one devotional and my Bible. No need for anything else for the next 6 weeks. The devotional I chose is one that I received after graduating high school. It has been collecting dust for the past 15 years. I did read through it when I got it but then stashed it away. The book is titled "The Finishing Touch, Becoming God's Masterpiece" and is by author Charles R. Swindoll (better known as Chuck Swindoll). I have always enjoyed Chuck's writing and this devotional has been no exception!--Note: you can find this book used over at amazon.--

Over the next few days I want to tell you what God said to me when He whispered in my ear as I stood still. The title of this days devotion was, "Closing the Gap". As I began reading he talked about how he had been reading through Nehemiah's journal. I just loved how he phrased that because the book of Nehemiah truly is his journal of a period in his life. He then moved on to say how the book of Nehemiah was a great insight into leadership and should be required reading for any person in a leadership position. I have to tell you that at this point I started zoning out a bit. He had listed a few leadership positions: elders, deacons, pastors, school boards, etc..... Well, I didn't fit into any of those categories, but I continued to read. This was the point that I felt God nudging me. I always get so excited when He does that! Then I realized that I was in leadership! Duh! I stay at home and homeschool my 2 daughter. Does that not put me in a leadership position? Light bulb! I can just picture God up on his throne chuckling and saying, "there you go, Caroline, you got it!".

I continued to devour the rest of the devotional soaking in every word. Charles went on to list the 7 qualities of a leader he saw in "Nehemiah's journal". I translated these qualities into my life as a homeschooling mom.

I will continue with the qualities tomorrow as I don't want to loose you in a really long post :o) This is good stuff here people! And for any of you who are down about homeschooling or feeling frustrated or loosing your vision don't miss what's in store. I am so looking forward to becoming the leader God has called me to be!!!

~howiesgal (aka: Caroline) :o)

No comments: